Recommendations for Contact Lens Wearers from the American Optometric Association
1. Always wash your hands before handling contact lenses.
2. Carefully and regularly clean contact lenses as directed. If recommended, rub the lenses with fingers on both sides and rinse thoroughly before soaking lenses overnight in sufficient multi-purpose solution to completely cover the lens.
3. If doing no rub, always rinse the lenses with the multipurpose solution for 5 seconds as recommended by manufacturers’ directions.
4. Store lenses in proper lens storage case and replace the case at a minimum of every three months. Rinse the case after each use with solution and keep it open and dry between cleanings.
5. Use only products recommended to clean and disinfect your lenses. Saline solution and rewetting drops are not designed to disinfect lenses.
6. Only fresh solution should be used to clean and store contact lenses. Never re-use old solution. Don’t top off. Contact Lens solution must be changed according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, even if the lenses are not used daily.
7. Always follow the recommended contact lens replacement schedule.
8. Remove contact lenses before swimming or entering a hot tub.
9. Have a contact lens and eye examination at least once a year.
10. Remove contact lenses immediately if your eye is red, painful, or has a discharge and call the office to be seen. When the office is not open during the week or on weekends, call the emergency number: 401-741-6810.